Friday, June 5, 2009

FOTB- Nicky Rottens

What you've all been waiting for, help me introduce... Nicky Rottens! Nicky Rottens (http://www.nickyrottens.com/) is in downtown San Diego on 5th and Market. Being the case with everything in Downtown, good luck finding parking, you'll need it.

[Insert your own juvenile sex joke]
The Food: 5/5 Stars
Nicky Rottens burgers are awesome! Not only are they tasty, but they are big. Which confuses me... Everyone at the table kept praising these burgers, saying they were on the shortlist of best burgers, but I looked around and saw some unfinished burgers at the table. Tasty AND huge?! Yes and yes. They have some great choices for burgers, but I chose the Famous Rottens Burger, and it didn't disappoint. I heard great things about some of the other style burgers ordered, from the Stinky Burger and the Breakfast Burger. And to really test them, one buddy ordered his burger rare; apparently he says most places won't cook a burger rare, but will go medium rare-- he gave them a two thumbs up for that. Oh, and their fries are really good as well, but good luck getting to them after such a large burger.



Burger, fries, and beer! Oh my!





The Drinks: 5/5 Stars
Great selection of beers. Full Bar. Wine. Granted, I only need about 3 good beers to choose from to consider it pretty good, I totally back a place that has 3 styles of Stone on tap along with some other good offerings. I stayed away from the macrobreweries, but they're available, and cider is available for puffs out there (editor's note: London, England bartenders claim that cider is a puff's drink. They are correct). A full bar allows for shots and cocktails and wine is available. But I'd still stick to Stone, can't be beat.

The Atmosphere: 5/5 Stars
Really cool decor. The brick walls and wood floor make for a unique look that is stylish, yet not over-pretentious. Multiple levels which was a huge plus. Most burger places wouldn't be able to have seaten 20+ people, but we got an entire floor to ourselves. Really approachable and helpful staff. And yes, they are very easy on the eyes. The owner's wife, April, even called earlier in the day to make sure that I would have her number in case I needed anything.
Overall: 4.9/5 Stars
I can't score any place perfect. That is the only reason that they didn't have a flawless score. Throw in a free burger and topless waitresses and they would've gotten it (I had to come up with some negative, no matter how unrealistic). I could go on and on about all sorts of things, but I want to sum it up in one sentence. You NEED to go to Nicky Rottens. No, not tomorrow or the weekend. Right now.

2 comments:

  1. Make sure the people understand that the burger is big, but it isn't Joey Chestnut big. I put mine down in under 4 minutes and easily polished off the fries. It was very good but if people want a burger that will truly test their competitive eating skills, they will be disappointed. In my opinion, it was an embarrassment to our fellowship that all of our burgers were not taken down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this place also gets props for the painting of a naked teenage Beyonce hiding behind a giant bottle of ketchup

    ReplyDelete